On Tuesday 24 October 2017, CIFAL Flanders | UNITAR hosted a High-Level Colloquium and Marketplace celebrating the 72nd anniversary of the United Nations.
This year’s edition was held in the context of the Global Science, Technology & Innovation Conferences (www.gstic.org), an initiative of VITO, the Flemish Institute for Technological Research.
15h30 Welcome and Marketplace UN Agencies in Brussels
16h30 High-Level Colloquium
Welcome and introduction by Dirk Fransaer, Managing Director VITO, the Flemish Institute for Technological Research
Presentations on the role of technology in achieving the SDGs
- Nikhil Seth,United Nations Assistant Secretary-General and Executive Director of United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
- Alexander De Croo, Belgian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Development Cooperation, Digital Agenda, Telecommunications and Postal Services
- Yannick Glemarec,Assistant Secretary-General and Deputy Executive Director for Policy and Programme for UN Women
- Dr. Aisa Kirabo Kacyira, United Nations Assistant Secretary-General and Deputy Executive Director, UN-Habitat
Panel discussion on transfer of technology and the SDGs moderated by Francesca Vanthielen
17h35 Youth perspective: short presentations
- Sippora Zoutewelle, Dutch model and Bollywood actress
- Winner of the G-STIC Challenge
17h45 Keynote speech on the guiding role of SDGs for the future Sustainable Development System by Li Yong, Director-General, United Nations Industrial Development
18h00 Closing Words by Christine Vermylen, Secretary-General Argenta and Vice-Chair Board of Directors CIFAL Flanders
18h15 Networking drink
19h00 Closing time
When: Tuesday 24 October 2017
Where: Tour & Taxis, Havenlaan 86C, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
Registration is free of charge, but mandatory (before Monday 23 October 2017)
SPEECH Christine Vermylen
Secretary-General Argenta and Vice-Chair Board of Directors CIFAL Flanders
The Colloquium celebrating the United Nations Day is an initiative of CIFAL Flanders, in close collaboration with the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), the Global Science, Technology & Innovation Conferences (G-STIC) and the United Nations Regional Information Centre (UNRIC) and with support of the Flemish Institute for Technological Research (VITO) and Brussels Airport.